Once Upon A Book Club Box YA: May
Once Upon A Book Club delivers a uniquely magical book box experience every month, both in their adult boxes and their YA boxes. May's YA book pick, "Between Two Skies" was a bittersweet story, with a wonderfully vivid main character.
Bayou Perdu, a tiny fishing town way, way down in Louisiana, is home to sixteen-year-old Evangeline Riley. She has her best friends, Kendra and Danielle; her wise, beloved Mamere; and back-to-back titles in the under-sixteen fishing rodeo. But, dearest to her heart, she has the peace that only comes when she takes her skiff out to where there is nothing but sky and air and water and wings. It’s a small life, but it is Evangeline’s. And then the storm comes, and everything changes. Amid the chaos and pain and destruction comes Tru — a fellow refugee, a budding bluesman, a balm for Evangeline’s aching heart. Told in a strong, steady voice, with a keen sense of place and a vivid cast of characters, here is a novel that asks compelling questions about class and politics, exile and belonging, and the pain of being cast out of your home. But above all, this remarkable debut tells a gently woven love story, difficult to put down, impossible to forget.
While visiting the south for a family funeral I had the opportunity to go to one of the coastal areas of Louisiana in 2008. Three years after Katrina there were areas that had been cleaned up but the bare foundations and half buildings were such a shock to see. Reading this book was like that visit all over again, being surprised by the long lasting effects of one storm.
I enjoyed the story and this visit to a place in my country that feels so very foreign from the Northeast experience that has been the majority of my life.
- A hairbrush, inspired by the moment that Evangeline gets to see her grandmother's long elegant hair down.
- A jeweled headband, inspired by the headband that Evangeline wears to a school dance where she runs into an important character whom she first met while wearing a shrimp crown.
- A menu (in a lovely felt envelope style folder) inspired by the menu from Evangeline's mother's restaurant.
- Gumbo mix, inspired by the gumbo that a family friend offers Evangeline.
- A quote card, a unique piece of art work created specifically for the box, and included every month.
The attention to detail in the menu and the gumbo mix in particular is absolutely stunning! There is a constant level of production level for the content of these boxes that my mind is kind of blown each month.
If you'd like to have your own bookish adventure visit the Once Upon A Book Club website, and use code "caseyrosereads" to get 10% off your first box.